Heat Vision is the exclusively Kryptonian ability to project solar energy in an invisible radiation form and the form of thick orange fiery beams of intensified heat from both eyes. The intensity, heat, and, if in beam form, concussive physical force of heat vision is similar to that found when an object falls through the atmosphere. The invisible form of heat vision is enough to quickly super-heat any substance, including metals. This form of heat vision is able to melt the thickest layers of ice and cauterize flesh quite effectively.Kryptonian, it does cause them immense burning pain on impact. The ability seems to originate from the nerves inside the face in the parts closest to the eye, or from the nerves connected the brain to the eye. The energy inside the face seems to cause a distortion of pressure in the face, as the veins near the eyes protrude and stretch out the faced when heat vision is being used or focused. When in use, the energy used in heat vision builds in the nerves around the eyes and is focused and concentrated inside the eyes. This causes the veins and nerves in the faces to produce an intense orange glow and the eyes to shine with the same light, with the only difference being that the light from the eyes is far brighter. When the beam is used, all the energy is instantly diverted to the eyes and blasted out.
Characters with Heat VisionEdit
- Superman: At a young age, Clark had shown to have the ability to use his heat vision in small amounts, particularly when he burned his teacher's hand while it was gripped over the janitor's doorknob. He later mastered to emit it in larger amounts, but also more visible.
- General Zod: Having mastered most of his abilities when exposed to Earth's atmosphere, Zod still had no real mastery over his heat vision as he destroyed a building with it whenever he looked around. He later showed to have mastery over it when he targeted several civilians backed in the corner of the train station before Superman regrettably snapped his neck.
- Doomsday: Doomsday can generate tremendous superheated torrents from his eyes and mouth, much more destructive than even Kryptonian heat vision.
- The look of the heat vision in the DCEU was designed by Warren Manser.
- Although all Kryptonians are capable of using heat vision, only Kal-El and later on General Zod mastered the ability.